Exploring the Angkor Temples – Discoveries & Wonders
Preparing your visit
The traveller will see only what he knows. Take your time and get informed in advance
Designing your Tours
With the Guidebook in hand and some English, you can visit Angkor on your own.
Take your time. Start with the Bakong. If you do not have time for this, you have planned wrong. Then follow the suggested itineraries or design your own discoveries.
Tips for real services should be 1 to 2,000 riels (0.25 to 0.5 $).
Visit schools on the way. Donation to the teacher maybe 5 or 10,000 riels (1.25 to 2.5 $).
Trails are almost everywhere. Ask the people:
“Saum, plough dhow prasat …?” (“Please, the way to the temple …?”)
Temple notes in chronological order
• Bakong – where a well-planned tour begins.
• Preah Ko – an abundance of reliefs. (Lolei is similar to Preah Ko.)
• Prasat Tor *
• Prasat Bei and lion statues *
• Baksei Chamkrong – do not miss! *
• East Mebon – especially atmospheric in the late afternoon.
• Pre Rup – stunning architecture.
• Baphuon – hidden reliefs at the second tier of the pyramid (see the plan at the Atlas).
• Angkor Wat – first visit in the afternoon, from the west; a second visit from the east.
• Banteay Samré – the tower, small reliefs at the bases of the pilasters.
• Ta Prohm – roots, unrestored parts of the outer gallery, northern gate tower.
• Banteay Kdei – best light in the afternoon, go from west to east.
• Kutisvara *
• Preah Khan, atmospheric, with excellent views, do not miss the Dharmasala.
• Temples east and north of the North Baray.
• Bayon – faces and reliefs (see the plan at the Atlas).
• East Gate of Angkor Thom *
- Angkor First-Hand – 20 years together with the temples
- Cycling Angkor – Independent Flexible Discreet & Joyful
- The Angkor Temple Talk with the Author – a vivid coaching
- The essential Angkor Map – Reliable Vivid Practical
- Exploring the Angkor Temples – Discoveries & Wonders
- A Particular Invitation to Angkor for Indians and Hindus
- Angkor Essentials – Books, Photos, PDFs & Links
- Contact – Individual Service – Imprint – Feedback